Entranced.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of EFM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

EFM Store

:: EFM Store ::

New Search Feature..... by Genre

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Entranced.FM Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA mangler
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 176

mangler is offline View user's profile Send private message View mangler's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 am   Post subject: New Search Feature..... by Genre Reply with quote

Hello, just wanted to bring this up for discussion. I have thought about it several times as i have been trying to pick music to play. Since i am pretty new and dont know the artists to well i was thinking to search by Genere. For my mornings i dont like to pick stuff that is to slow.

I brought this up in the chat and was told this might be a good idea. I dont have any idea how to implament this or how it should work. I was hoping we could talk about it and see what everyone feels or thinks about this?

As the selection gets bigger it may help narrow down your search for a new selection that you are looking for.

Thanks
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 168

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:34 am   Post subject: Re: New Search Feature..... by Genere Reply with quote

mangler wrote:
I brought this up in the chat and was told this might be a good idea. I dont have any idea how to implament this or how it should work. I was hoping we could talk about it and see what everyone feels or thinks about this?

Yes I like the idea.
Maybe there should by turned on/off a genre filter (selection box) when you are browsing through albums or artists.
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

mangler is offline View user's profile Send private message View mangler's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sirius. Thats a good idea. As i said i have no idea how to impliment it but it would be helpful to me in my searchs.

Keep them coming. if we get enough ideas and support we can ask Jeric to impliment it.
Germany der_wichtig
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 130

der_wichtig is offline View user's profile Send private message View der_wichtig's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea too.

Very Happy
USA mangler
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support NoDi! Anyone else? Anyone?
USA Wolf-wench
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 83

Wolf-wench is offline View user's profile Send private message View Wolf-wench's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:39 am   Post subject: Genres Reply with quote

Saff or JERIC...any way this can happen? Add one more search button to the list? I know we have a few different genres...Techno, Chill, Electronic, etc. I was just thinking myself how that would be nice.

Hopefully someday we can figure out a way to do this Exclamation Very Happy
USA mangler
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to see that i have some support on this. Next is how to get it to Jeric or Saff to see what they think. Will they see this or do i need to send in a formal request?

Thanks WW for the support along with Nodi and Sirius.
USA Saffron
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 3

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The search by genre discussion has happened before. I believe that JERIC wants to keep the format of the sites uniform, so if we implemented this search function here at EFM it would also be implemented at all the other stations. This would create a mountain of work for us. You can click here to read why it would generate a lot of work to add the genre search. To clarify the issues in that topic, many of the albums are just tagged as "soundtrack" and if we add a genre search it would be better if those albums with that genre title get changed to something more specific. Changing over 2500 albums would take months.

So now you have a little insight into why we aren't jumping on this. It IS a great idea. I would love to have that in place, along with a place that shows who donated an album as well but I doubt we will see it very soon.
I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
USA mangler
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Saff.
USA petshopboy
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

aw

Member#: 215

petshopboy is offline View user's profile Send private message View petshopboy's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:30 am   Post subject: Let users do the heavy lifting Reply with quote

Another thought is to allow registered users the option to (directly) set the genre. You would have some abuse presumably but in general wikipedia is working Smile

I understand that adding controls for that wouldn't be trivial but once it is working there wouldn't be a huge amount of work for the admins. Maybe even have the control for this along with the song request form, only if the genre hasn't already been set (probably only relevant for SST).
USA mangler
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!!! we now have a search by Genre!! thanks to Pesadelo.
Brazil Pesadelo VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 153

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome, mangler. Keep the good ideas up! Smile
Germany der_wichtig
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 130

der_wichtig is offline View user's profile Send private message View der_wichtig's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pesa! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Entranced.FM Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: